Alternatives to Braces for Teens Q&A
Teenagers usually do not want braces treatments, but they want the benefits they can provide. Teens may be self-conscious about their appearance with braces. At Allure Dental Center, Dr. Trinh Lee and Dr. Suzanna Lee offer brace alternatives for teens that they prefer. We can straighten their teeth and shape them to perfection. For more information, contact us or schedule an online appointment. We serve patients from Mountain View CA, and surrounding Bay Area cities.
Table of Contents:
Healthy teeth lead to healthy, beautiful smiles. One of the biggest contributing factors to oral health, as well as the maintenance of oral hygiene, is straight teeth, which is why orthodontic procedures such as braces have gained so much popularity over the past fifty years. However, braces are not always seen as practical for some people, as they can take years to produce their desired results and can be uncomfortable in the mouth. There are many alternatives to braces, many of which can produce the same remarkable results in a fraction of the time.
There are many alternatives to braces, including:
– Instant Orthodontics
– Porcelain Veneers
– Dental Bonding
– Prepless Veneers
All of these procedures fall under cosmetic dentistry, which focuses on improving the appearance of the teeth. In the majority of cases, these procedures are simpler, less expensive, and produce noticeable results quicker than braces do.
The different types of braces include:
– Clear Aligners — Clear aligners are more commonly known by their brand names, such as Invisalign or ClearCorrect. These invisibly surround the teeth, fixing misalignments without being visually noticed.
– Lingual Braces — Lingual braces get their name for the side of the teeth to which they are applied. Buccal refers to between the cheek and teeth, and lingual refers to the tongue, the area inside of the teeth. Therefore, these braces are a lot harder to notice because they sit on the inner part of the teeth.
– Ceramic Braces — These braces are designed to match the color of the teeth, which seamlessly blend in for a subtle appearance.
– Retainers — These are typically used to maintain the position of teeth after wearing braces, but in cases of extremely minor dental issues, they can be addressed by wearing retainers.
Which one is best for teenagers will depend on their individual needs, as each option presents different pros and cons which can influence a person’s decision.
Many experts agree that the best age for a person to get braces is when their head and mouth is most conducive to teeth straightening, which is between the ages of 12 and 20. The majority of orthodontic patients receive braces between the ages of 14 and 20, which is generally when all of the adult teeth have fully emerged into the jaw. During this age range, it can be easier to move the teeth into position in a reasonably efficient time frame because the tissues and bones are still in the process of maturing.
Yes, there is! Braces are not the only solution to straighten teeth; many orthodontic procedures can improve the shape, fit, bite, and color of someone’s teeth with results that do not take years to accomplish. These include:
– Instant Orthodontics — Instant orthodontics uses dental crowns and veneers to provide straighter, whiter, fuller, and more even teeth, without having to get braces or use clear aligners! Instant orthodontics erases the appearance of stained, discolored, crooked, and gapped teeth in only a few visits!
– Dental Bonding — Dental bonding is perfect to correct problems such as discolored teeth, irregular tooth shape, crooked teeth, chipped/worn enamel, and gaps or spaces between teeth. These procedures are relatively quick and simple to complete, and may not even require a local anesthetic.
– Porcelain Dental Veneers — Porcelain dental veneers can dramatically change the appearance of the teeth, as they are designed to fit over the entirety of the teeth and hide any irregularities within them.
If you want to have straighter teeth but do not want the inconvenience of braces, come to Allure Dental Center to find out more about our alternatives! We have options to suit everyone’s needs, both adolescents and adults alike. Call us today to book an appointment, or visit our clinic. We serve patients from Mountain View CA, Sunnyvale CA, Los Altos CA, Stanford CA, Menlo Park CA, Atherton CA, Loyola CA, Cupertino CA, Palo Alto CA, Redwood City CA and surrounding areas.